I hope this note finds you and yours well this holiday season. As the year comes to a close, I would like to take some time to recap the Blacksburg Town Council’s work in 2012:
- Reached out to citizens, business owners, and community leaders to update the town’s 10-year economic development plan. (I served on the steering committee for the update this summer.)
- Began implementing the Blacksburg Business Climate Task Force’s recommendations to improve how our government relates with the business community.
- Started construction on the College Avenue Promenade, which will create outdoor dining spaces for downtown restaurants.
- Established an Arts and Cultural District to offer financial incentives for qualified arts businesses downtown.
- Scheduled a public hearing for next month on a joinder agreement that adds Montgomery County to the regional water system.
- Continued progress on boards and committees with regional representation. (For example, I serve on the board for the Metropolitan Planning Organization, which oversees regional transportation planning. The MPO expanded to include the City of Radford this year.)
- Approved a five-year update to the Comprehensive Plan, which streamlines the plan and emphasizes the town’s commitment to sustainability and citizen involvement.
- Passed a resolution in support of saving Stadium Woods.
- Approved new code enforcement tools to address over-occupancy.
- Passed a resolution in support of neighborhood schools, including Harding Avenue Elementary School.
- Established a Live/Work/Sell Arts Overlay District to encourage owner-occupied arts businesses in the residential area east of downtown.
This year, the town council also reviewed several requests to rezone property for student housing developments and held several high-profile meetings on the future of the Old Blacksburg Middle School property. Major land-use decisions will likely dominate our discussions in 2013.
This is an exciting time for Blacksburg, and I look forward to continuing to serve our community. As always, I welcome your questions and comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me at (540) 257-4951 or email@example.com.
Best wishes for the New Year,